Thursday, January 15, 2009


So, one week has passed more or less and it seems no one has found my little corner of the web. I thought I would add a little more to encourage anyone who stumbles on this to join in and help me get this rolling.
It will probably be some time before the main aspect of this blog takes hold if it ever does. In the mean time, anyone who finds this should feel free to share some of their hobby. I will do so until it is obvious I am talking to just myself.. ha ha!
My latest creation is a pair of N scale GP60M engines for ATSF. These are readily available JnJ resin shells riding on a Life Like GP60 drive. It should be noted that the as delivered LL GP60 has the incorrect trucks and need to be updated if you are looking for accuracy. The correct trucks can be obtained from a LL GP38-2 which has the correct updated trucks.
The JnJ shells are pretty nice as resin goes. Certainly not on par with Grant Eastman or Kaslo shells detail wise, but certainly comparable to most injection molded plastic shells that come with off the shelf locomotives.
As with all resin there is some clean up needed before proceeding but it is minimal and other than cleaning out window openings, the only other flash is from molding tabs that need to be removed. Once this is accomplished if no further detail is desired, you can pretty much jump right to paint and decal.
All but the front corner hand rails can be used from the LL GP60 on the resin shell so the only wire to bend is two very simple corner grab rails.
I replaced most of the cast detail with photo etched or machine bent wire to add to the appearance.
I wish I could tell you the background is my layout. That would be pretty cool. It is just simple photo-shop trickery so there is something there besides a blank sheet of paper. Ha ha!
If anyone is watching, I hope you jump in and add some comments good or bad. At this point it would be cool to know I am not talking to just myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment